Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Ich will ein Fluglotse sein

I'm updating my blog right now instead of doing homework for my AIRT42 class due tomorrow. That's probably not the smartest thing to do, but honestly, how excited can you get about a couple pages of phraseology exercises? I suppose it is necessary, though. It's necessary for the people that haven't spoken a word on an aviation frequency, but it's also very necessary for me. Why me? I've keyed the mic literally thousands of times and spoken to all common forms of ATC (sorry, I haven't spoken to Gander Oceanic on the NAT tracks yet). Why do I need to go over this stuff?

Simple. I'm lazy.

No, really. I'm a pilot. Ask any controller, and I'm sure you're likely to get all kinds of horror stories about bad pilot phraseology. Really, we as pilots aren't generally trained to the same phraseology standards as controllers are. I'm not sure why that is (since bad pilot phraseology can create dangerous situations just the same), but those are just the facts of life. I can recall one exchange I had with Denver Center a couple years back with the utmost clarity. I bet the controller just about had an aneurysm. Let's check it out:

Me: Uhhhh center, 54H, any chance for one eight zero?
Denver: Seminole 8154H, verify you're requesting a climb to flight level one eight zero?
Me: That's affirm. 54H.
Denver: Seminole 8154H, climb and maintain flight level one eight zero.

That is as close to verbatim as I can get it. I won't discuss why it's bad (people with much more experience than I have already done such things), but I just wanted to point out just how bad I've been on the radio.

That, of course, is one of the good things about this whole CTI thing. Even though I know how to listen to and talk on an aviation frequency, I need some work before I'm able to get this phraseology thing down 100%. The people just going over this for the first time, well, they're lucky. They have the law of primacy on their side. They can learn it correctly the first time. Poor bastages like me have to correct mistakes and relearn a good deal. That is even more difficult than learning it the first time, in my opinion. Ugh...time to hit the 7110.65 some more. Maybe I should also do some homework.

---

By the way, I ended up getting ~85% on a quiz on the "parts of an airplane" the other day. It's exactly how it sounds: this is the fuselage, this is the wingtip, etc. And yes, I got an 85%. I'm trying to figure that one out. I guess it would have helped if I could tell through the horribly xeroxed diagram just where the arrows were pointing.

Really, if a guy with a B.S. degree in Aeronautical Science and a CFI/CFII/MEI certificate gets an 85% on a quiz about the parts of an airplane, son, there's something wrong with your quiz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home