Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Einfach

Three classes in, and things are already looking to be pretty easy this semester. AIRT41 looks like it may be a slight challenge, but I remember most of the aircraft we're supposed to memorize from the ERAU flight team tryouts a few years back. Basically, I'm taking a class that does the same ACID stuff the flight team did. Funny.

AERO29 is a joke, plain and simple. Well okay, that might not be fair. Just about everyone in that class either has no aeronautical knowledge, or is at the Private Pilot level. I don't expect them to know anything besides Parts 61 and 91 (if even that), so this class probably does a pretty good job of giving an overview of the FARs. However, there are two CFIs in the class: myself and one other guy. Yes, we're both very bored, and it's painfully obvious.

TRAN17. I liked it better the first time when it was called AS402 and I got a C with Saboski. Even the textbook is the same. Maybe I'll see about getting this class waived. Yes, I know what fuel hedging is, thank you.

I do have high hopes for AIRT42 and 43 though. AIRT42 is an overview of the ATC system, radar and non-radar operations, and a few other things that I might not have picked up at ERAU. This one seems good.

AIRT43 seems like it'll be interesting with its team exercises at a mock tower. However, reading over the syllabus, it seems like it may turn out to be AS213 with a controller twist. Let's hope not. The only problem with this course is that I'm not yet enrolled in it. Since this is the last course people generally take before graduation, my registration date wasn't good enough to snag the class before it filled up. Thus, I'm #1 priority on the waitlist, and still have no guarantee of getting in (see previous post). Let's hope I do, or else I'm in LA until October. Bleh.

I do have one other class, which is CISB11. It's kind of an "intro to computers" kinda deal that I'm taking online. I haven't had my first class meeting (only one meeting at the beginning of the semester), but I'm pretty confident that it won't be too hard.

Overall though, this school is a pretty good one. No, they don't cater to people that already have aviation experience and want to just "check the boxes" to get hired as a controller, but it seems to be a good program for people with little experience. The nice thing is that there are plenty of people here with Bachelor's degrees just trying to knock this out as quickly as they can. Everyone seems to have a pretty similar background, and we're all chasing the same goal. Thus, there is a good deal of comraderie here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

Good to know that someone has had the same experience (and that someone actually reads this blog :P).

AIRT43: The professor (David West) just started teaching it this semester. Thankfully since he's a retired controller, he's putting his own slant on things, and not just using Rogus' outline. He just loves to tell stories about his exploits in the "Old Screen," and he's VERY adamant that people learn non-radar.

He already told us today that we can expect half the course to be dedicated to non-radar problems. That's absolutely fine by me, since I was worried that a lack of that at Mt. SAC would cause me to have problems at OKC. Actually, we ran through a simple problem today. Real cool.

Brent

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home