Thursday, February 02, 2006

Beschäftigt

Sorry for the lack of updates this past week. I've been pretty busy with school and work, and really, I haven't had much to talk about. Well, let's start at the beginning.

Classes. What can I say? I've said it many times before and I'll say it again: this program is a joke to someone with prior experience. I didn't expect anything hard, but c'mon. I can say one thing: it's been a decent refresher for me, since I've been pretty removed from the flying world for some time.

I do have some real issues with the academic training here though. I'm finding that certain things are being taught either incorrectly, or are taught in a way that's "kinda sorta" true. I suppose some of the information doesn't need to be taught in a fully detailed way to a class full of future controllers, but still. An FAR professor telling the class that a CFI legally needs a second class medical to work? C'mon. That's just WRONG. Sadly, that's not the worst bit of misinformation I've heard here. But, I'll digress.

Unfortunately, there is still no word on when the ATSAT will be taking place. To be perfectly honest, I'm not holding my breath on even this semester. I hope to god that I'm wrong, but it looks like we might all be in for a bit of a wait. NATCA president John Carr even made a blog entry about it today. That can be read here. It's definitely worth a read.

Work. Well, work is work. I'm currently working 20-25 hours/week, and averaging a pretty solid $20-30/hr while I'm on the floor. Entire shifts rarely average below $15/hr, with the lowest being $13/hr on my first day. Suffice to say, this is a pretty lucrative gig. I just wish I could do this 40 hours a week! I'd really be rolling in the dough if that was the case.

Well, I guess I don't really want to do it 40 hours a week. Not at this store. Being on the floor any more than 5 or so hours at a time really beats you up. I used to work 40 hours a week at my old store, but then again, we ran double the amount of servers at any given time. In Prescott, I might have had a 3-4 table section during the dinner rush. Here, I had a 7-table section tonight. And you better believe I used 'em all.

I am very happy to note though that I am back in my old form again. It took a few shifts, but I've knocked off just about all of the rust. The good thing is that I think I might actually like my job. This store is very well run, and everyone is *gasp* good at their jobs and help each other out. It's a good group of people, and I don't mind spending my hours away from school there.

Ich werde im einige Tage noch ein Update geben. Morgen fahre ich nach Nordkalifornien, um meine Freunde zu besuchen.

Machs gut!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home