Monday, February 20, 2006

A day off!

Note: I promise that I'll try to write more about school and less about work, but school is boring and work is infuriating. Guess which one gets more press?

Yes, so I finally have a day off! As I mentioned before, Feb. 3rd was the last day I had actually "off." But, President's Day is tomorrow, and I don't have school or work. Hell yeah. I'm going to crash out and wake up at 3pm. Unfortunately the grind starts again at Tuesday at 11:45 sharp.

Oh! I got a 94% on my map test the other day for AIRT43. Considering I studied that thing for 2 whole hours, I'm glad that I did so well. I thoroughly expected to simply brain dump the whole thing after I passed the test, but I'm surprised how much of it I've retained. Airways, radials, distances, MEAs, etc. are all still there. I've always had a knack for remembering numbers (and a horrible deficiency at remembering names and faces), but I didn't think that I'd find this so easy. That'll definitely help me out later on.

Unfortunately I'm still drawing a blank on good things to say about the school. I know that I tend to be a bit negative in these posts, but I honestly don't have anything to be too positive about. I was looking forward to non-radar problems in AIRT43, but apparently that's been scratched. We worked one the other day on the board (3 aircraft converging on MLC from V9, V7, and V6) , but West didn't really go through too many specifics. He hasn't really gone over any kind of non-radar rules or techniques, so we all just sat there nodding and trying to figure out just what the hell he was doing. I guess that's what the Academy is for.

Anyway, I try to update more than once every 4-5 days, but I really haven't been up to sitting down and typing. This weekend was absolutely killer. Take the last post I made about working a friday night and multiply it by three. I won't get into too much detail, but I knocked out $2,800 in sales over my last 3 shifts. Unfortunately I only ended up taking home $300, but hey, it happens. Everyone got crappy tips this weekend.

Friday night was a bit of a dud. I'm not sure what the deal was, but I closed and only had $800 in sales by the end of the night. This equated to $88 in tips (thanks assholes!). Fortunately this store is busy enough to where $800 in sales is disappointing. Saturday night started out extremely slowly, but then got insane. When we cut to a 3-floor, the flood gates opened. We ran about 80% capacity with three servers on, which had me running 7 tables, including a party of 12. Yeehaw. $1,200 in sales, $123 in tips. Meh.

Today was even worse, but for a much more strange reason. We had a bit of a lunch rush, and I found that I'd only worked 3 tables, while a few other servers were working 5-6. I talked to the hosts about it, and they didn't do anything. I talked to them again, and they still didn't do anything. I eventually ended up getting the manager involved, and she went and set things straight. Next thing I know, I'm running 7-9 tables continuously for the next 2 hours with me and one other server on. $800 in sales, $86 in tips. Yay! Oh, I even got my first complaint today.

Seriously, this is the only job that I know of where someone who has never done your job before gets to rate your performance and pay you what they think you're worth. At one point, I was working nine tables without an expo on or food runners to help me out. That is a ridiculous workload for anyone, and I don't know too many people who could take that on without being buried. And buried I was. But, the fat dumb and happy people in my section didn't know any better. Every table thinks that they're #1, and that whenever they ask me to do something, I have to do it immediately. Of course, nobody ever looks around and says "Oh man...this guy is really busy. Let's cut him some slack." Nope. The usual stupid requests still came, but this time from nine tables at once. Table 20 wants a refill of water, 22 wants their check, 24 wants some more iced tea, 8 needs three refills, 5 wants four refills, 4 needs an extra spoon, 3 wants a side of ranch, and table 1 wants me to break a $20 bill and check how much is on their gift card (which won't scan). In the middle of that fray, I'm dealing with getting food out for various tables (remember, no expo), and dropping checks to whoever looks like they might be done in the next half hour. Good service is out the window at that point, and I'm simply just trying not to crash the section.

Nobody cares though. I got crappy tips in those 2 hours. I had one table complain about their service and stiff me (my manager was cool enough to realize that it wasn't my fault though), and more than a few left me 5-10% tips.

Now, I'm normally way ahead of my section. But staying ahead of that many tables? No way in hell. I don't know what management is trying to pull by running so few servers with such a high volume, but if they expect to have return customers, they need to have more people on the floor. That's why we run more than 2-3 servers in the first place. One person cannot handle the load of half the restaurant, especially without any assistance. I'm sure that I could have handled that load today much more smoothly than I did, but only with expos and food runners backing me up. Alone? No way.

To top it off, another manager (who has never worked as a server once in his life) commented: "Yeah, this is a hard shift." Hard shift? I work friday and saturday night rushes, and those are hard. That manager has had one week of following an actual server around to get a feel for what we do, and he thinks he can comment? I want to see him out there working that same shift. I guarantee he'll crash the whole damn thing. F- off.

I'm definitely looking to get into something else right after graduation. The money at this job is very good (I'm even planning on getting my own place as soon as possible), but the job itself is just getting to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home