Saturday, February 11, 2006

Ich soll gerade schlafen

Well, that's the last time I put off my CISB11 homework until after I get off work. It was due by midnight tonight, but I thought that I'd be out of work by 10 at the latest (I was scheduled to get off at 9). I didn't clock out until 12:30am. Whoops. It's a good thing that I've gotten 100% on all of my assignments thus far. One missed one won't kill me.

Actually, that's the second time I've done that this week. I should really be more careful. I forgot about an assignment due in my AIRT43 class on thursday, simply because I was busy studying my non-radar map (which I did get a very good grade on). I did forget what radial V4 is off of TUL VOR, but I only missed by 5 degrees, and even remembered small stuff like the distance from TUL to DEPEW (39 nm).

In other news, I'm hoping that Rogus (Mt. SAC Aeronautics Department Chair for anyone unfamiliar) faxed the ATSAT sign-up list to the FAA today. That school is a bit behind the power curve most of the time, so I won't be surprised if I go in on monday and they say "oh yeah...we forgot." Meh.

I really just want to get this program done. I'm not learning a whole heck of a lot, and the weeks are just dragging on. Then of course, I remind myself that I've only been here a month. Ugh. I'm so glad that I decided to do all of this in one semester. I don't know if I'd be able to handle two semesters of this crap. If we actually did something related to ATC, I'd have no problem. But, every bit of this program revolves around the basics that I already know. Oh, I did get a 100% on my first AIRT41 test, and a 94% on my AIRT42 test (I missed a couple questions on ATC history...big deal). 94% is pretty good for not having taken a single note or even cracked the book open. I've got a TRAN17 test coming up this coming tuesday that I will need to study for though. Hopefully that goes well enough.

That's about all the CTI news I have for now. Intriguing eh? Heh.

So, I worked my first friday night shift at work tonight. That was uhh, pretty different than I remember from my old store. We ran a 7-chart tonight on a full dinner push, which was a bit crazy. We used to run a 14-chart at the Prescott store on friday nights, and our dinner rush wasn't even as big as this one. Think I'm talking it up again? My sales from 4pm-10pm were $1,018. That's averaging $170/hour in sales, which with 15% tips comes out to ~$25/hour (and I easily had a couple $250-$300 hours mixed in there).That's not even including my base pay. Yay for waiting tables.

Wait, no. Tonight sucked. I mean, really sucked. We were all complaining at the beginning of the week about not making any money because of how slow it was. As usual, the rules of statistics apply, and we got smashed tonight to make up for it. Tonight was very lucrative (though tips sucked), but I'm not so sure it was worth it. I've never been so beat at the end of a shift. We ran a constant push for 5-6 hours straight, and my section was full 100% of the time. Working 5 tables at a time isn't too difficult normally, but doing that for 5 hours at a time really wears you down. I ran my section just fine, but I got my ass kicked pretty hard.

Seriously, once I'm done with school, I'm done. I'm done working for tips. I hate it. It doesn't matter if it's a friday night and every server is slammed. People just don't care. They think that they're the only people in the restaurant, and when they ask for something, they want it now. That's just not plausible, and I don't think that many people understand that. Maybe they understand that I'm busy, but they certainly don't understand the reasoning behind why they have to wait. Here's a clue: If you have to wait for something, it's for a reason. Have to wait 4-5 minutes for a refill? Great...yell at my other tables. They probably have more pressing matters, and you're #4 in line for your side of ranch. Not my problem. It's simple: wait your turn. It's just like waiting in line at a bank.

Of course when you make people wait (for any reason), they tip less. While I averaged a nice hourly rate tonight, my tip percentage sucked. Why? "Oh, that evil server. We had to wait 5 minutes for a refill. He obviously sucks at his job. 9% tip." Yeah, thanks asshole. While you were sitting there wondering where your drink is, I just had to get food out to a big party, had 5 requests from that one party, and 5 more from other random tables. On top of all of that is your refill, and many times if taking one of those other requests in front of yours works with my overall plan better, I'll do that. Yeah, you get bumped a spot. Sorry. Wait, no I'm not.

By the very end of our dinner rush tonight, I was seriously about ready to throw a drink glass at the wall. I was at my wits end. I'm normally a very calm and collected person, but tonight just got to me. Everyone wanted something, all the time. People aren't normally this bad...it must be a friday night thing. Oh, I did have one table of latinos call me a racist tonight too. Why? The manager declined their request to go sit out on the patio, and I dropped off their check before they were done (so they felt rushed). Unbelievable.

Yeah, no more. This job wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for ignorant people that don't understand just how stressful and trying this job is. Oh, and I would love to be able to decline requests. Oh man, that'd be the shit. Side of ranch? Sorry, too busy. Ask in 5 minutes. I'd be like the center controller you thought was an asshole when you were a student pilot for not giving you VFR advisories.

Man, that'd be great. But for now, I have to get everything you ask for, no matter how much it screws up my plans. I guess that is my job, but meh.

Okay, it's coming up on 5am. Time to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home