Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Müde

So, I'm watching Olympic Curling right now. What's curling exactly? I haven't the slightest clue. I'm sitting here with the most confused look on my face right now, watching people slide stones across ice and sweeping in front of it. I don't have any idea how the game is played, so I'm finding myself thinking that the USA has scored a point, but instead finding out Canada scored three. Weird. Where is bobsledding or ski jumping? Man.

As expected, Mt. SAC hasn't turned in the ATSAT lists to the FAA yet. They said that they'd do it last friday, but now they're saying "this week." Yeah, that's what you said last week. I'm really getting sick of these people. I'm glad that I decided to knock this all out in one semester, else I think I'd go nuts. I like to jokingly say that the school is overly annoying and difficult with its students to prepare us for working for the FAA. Actually, I'm really half-joking when I say that. Half of me laughs, half of me cries.

Speaking of Mt. Ballsac, I still haven't heard back from admissions about my transcript evaluations for my general ed classes, but I'm sure I'll hear something soon enough. The common story I've heard from people graduating in one semester is that the school will first botch your eval and say that you have to take extra general ed classes, then will back down when you put up a fight. Why can't we just get it right the first time? Who is hiring these people?

Ah, so. Work. Trust me, I won't go on a long rant this time (I fear I'm losing readership that way, if I had any to begin with). I just had my best week yet. I took home $385 in tips, along with my base $6.75/hour for 30 hours worked. That $6.75/hour comes out to be about $5/hour after taxes, so that's an extra $150 on top of my tips for an approximate total of $535. If I can keep up that earn rate, that's about $2300-$2400/month, or ~$28,000/year. High twenty-thousands per year for waiting tables? I'll take it.

The only problem with keeping up that earn rate is that I picked up a very lucrative friday night shift last week, one which I'm never scheduled for. I'm trying to pick up another friday night this week, but until I get established at this restaurant I might not be able to keep up $500+/week. The thing that I do have going for me though is that over the past 3 weeks I've been averaging a pretty constant $18/hour with base pay included. Even if I can't pick up a friday night again, I could probably pick up a shift or two mid-week just to get my hours up. That's the whole thing: Put in the hours. Let the math sort itself out. If I can work a consistent 30-hour week, I'll be making some very nice money.

That, however, brings me to a bit of a quandry. After graduation, I'm considering going and getting a higher paying "real" job until the FAA calls. One of the top ideas I've received so far is to go into auto insurance adjusting, which is a mid-$30,000/year salaried job that only requires a Bachelor's degree. No previous experience is necessary, and the company flies you all around the country for 2-3 months for training. That wouldn't be a bad gig whatsoever. Also, there are seemingly TONS of these jobs in the LA area.

The second interesting idea is real estate. I was just talking to my mom tonight, who is rated in the top 5% of real estate producers in the nation. She said that if I were to go that route, she'd train me from the ground up with everything that I'd need to know. Considering she does very well for herself, that doesn't sound like a terrible idea. But. I've been in the sales field before, and I didn't do very well. Granted, my bad experience at Tim's Toyota was due to a number of things, but you can imagine how apprehensive I'd be going back into a sales position. Something to consider though.

Oh well, I'm just tossing around ideas right now. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to let me know. It would only be for 1-2 years, and must 1) pay more than $30,000/year, 2) be ethical, and 3) be legal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home