Monday, March 27, 2006

Gerade vergessen

Okay, yeah, I admit it. I forgot about my blog for a day or 13 there. My mistake. It seems as though my goal of updating 3-5 times per week is a bit more difficult than expected, especially when there's not much going on. So, let's just start with a summary on what's going on lately:

School last week was almost unnoticable. Two of my four classes were canceled, and I ditched out of one of my tuesday night class early after the test (as did about half of the class). I think I have a test in my FARs class tomorrow, but I don't exactly recall off the top of my head. Not to worry though: It's on the classes of airspace and standard maintenance tasks (100 hour, annual, etc.). I think I'll manage.

I did have a midterm for my online computer class this past week, which wasn't horribly difficult. It did mean that I had to actually go into school and take it in the "language assistance center," but I ended up scoring a 90%. So far, I'm rolling a 95% in that class. Woohoo.

Speaking of school though: Less than two months to go! I can't believe how fast this whole thing has been going. The last thing I remember I was starting this whole goat rope. Granted, one semester isn't a long time, but one semester at Mt. Ballsac is a long time. Trust me on that one. Where am I going after I get done with that? Well, I do have a plan.

I woke up one day this past week and realized something: I can't put my life on hold for this FAA job. More to the point, I won't. I was considering for a while staying here in LA and doing something completely random like working in auto insurance until the FAA calls, but that's pretty ridiculous in hindsight. Who's to say that everything with the FAA will go to spec? Sure, some people have graduated CTI school and hit their facilities within a year, but that's rare. Most people are waiting two years, and in some cases, more.

Seriously, as much as I'd like to say that it is, this ATC thing isn't a done deal just because I'm about to get out of CTI school. I need to have a plan. I need to be able to fall back on something in the event that it doesn't pan out.

So, I've decided that I'm going to go back into flying. I've pushed it out of my mind for so long that I've forgotten how much I miss it. I haven't flown in a solid ten months, and that's rough. I think I've been ignoring the fact that flying makes up a large part of who I am, and that it's impossible to have gone from a student pilot to CFI/CFII/MEI without having become permanently attached.

I'm not really sure what made this come back up to the surface, but I don't think it really matters. I need to get back in it, and I'm counting down the days before I can quit my serving job and get back in the business end of an airplane. So far, that looks like that may be another 4 months or so, maybe less.

Where am I going in 4 months? Welp, it looks like my good buddy Charles can help me out a bit with that one. He says that I shouldn't have a problem landing an interview at ERAU (if anyone doesn't know, that's where I graduated from last May with my B.S. degree) for a flight instructor position. I have to say, I'm beyond tempted. Granted, that'll mean a move back to Prescott, but I'm more than willing to do that for a nice job at ERAU. I just simply hope that I can get the job. I don't have much flight time at all within the past 12 months, and that's an item they ask on the application. Charles is going to check on that for me, so hopefully that won't be an issue. He says it won't be though.

That's also not to mention that I'm horribly rusty as far as book knowledge goes. I'm really going to have to hit the books hard in the next 4 months to get back up to speed. Getting the flying skills back shouldn't be too difficult I hope. It's going to be a tough road to get back in this, but I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to get the job out there.

Basically, all I'm doing here is making sure that I'm actively pursuing a career while I wait for the FAA. I'll rack up a bunch of flight time in a nice job, all while jumping through the FAA's hoops. If at the end of everything the FAA hires me and sends me off to a facility, great. I'm gone. If not, oh well, I'll have plenty of hours at that point to move on to an airline if I prefer.

Best of both worlds.

Oh yes, I should also mention before I close out this entry that I got everything straightened out at work, and I'm back to working normal shifts. This past week was a mad dash to pick up shifts, and I only ended up working 4 shifts instead of my usual 5. Next week is MUCH better, and I'm working 5 shifts, 3 being lucrative night shifts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home